Walk into any workplace and you’ll get a pretty good sense whether their leadership values diversity. Better yet, visit the executive suite and see whether their leadership reflects their workforce. I’ve talked with leaders who get bent out of shape about diversity training because they think it’s about redistributing power or opening up wounds. I like to think of it as a way of building a stronger organization. Here are ten benefits of workplace diversity.
- Employees get along better.
- People trust employees outside their own group.
- Everyone is welcome and respected.
- All ideas and perspectives are welcome.
- People’s talents are recognized.
- The company culture encourages positive interaction.
- Cross-pollination of ideas and perspectives.
- Leadership and employees aren’t separate.
- No cliques or privileged groups.
- Celebration of all people.
Think of what your workplace would be like if you enjoyed all ten of these benefits. Resourceful leaders understand that having their people get along and support each other creates a much more effective organization than one filled with mistrust and strife. How will you start enjoying the benefits of diversity in your workplace?
What are your thoughts on this topic? Leave a comment below.