A lot of people go through their personal and professional lives doing the same things they’ve always done. It’s not that they’re unintelligent or apathetic, it’s just that humans tend to be creatures of habit. We learn something as children and then we do it for the remainder of our lives.
The wonderful thing is that you have self-awareness. You are able to take a look at yourself, keep what works well and learn new skills to improve what needs attention. You can actually modify and improve your thinking and behavior to get better results. Here’s an idea to start the process:
- Pick a thought or behavior that’s not working for you.
- Brainstorm ideas of what you could do instead that would lead in a more positive direction.
- Pick the one item from your brainstorm that makes the most sense to start working on.
- Start working on the item you chose and practice until you’re good at it.
- If you need to adjust or pick a different item do so.
- Start the process again for the next thing that you want to work on in your life.
The key to growing and becoming a more effective person is to realize that you have the potential to change anything you want in your life as long as you’re willing to put in the effort to consciously work on it. What area of your life will you let go?