Building trust in your personal or professional life requires increasing your self-awareness so you can feel great about yourself and encourage others to do the same. A lot of leaders and individuals walk through life or their workplaces wondering why they can’t trust people or why others won’t trust them. A lack of trust means that the person involved hesitates to get close to anyone because he or she is afraid of being hurt or doesn’t know how to build positive relationships. Here are some practical ways to build trust:
- Do what you say you’re going to do.
- Avoid saying one thing and doing another.
- Behave with kindness and compassion.
- Be there to help people.
- Communicate openly.
- Avoid rumors, gossip and secrets.
- Listen to people.
- Trust the other person first.
- Be open to considering others’ points of view.
- Have confidence in people’s talents and abilities.
- Let people shine.
Trust is about you, you either believe it can happen or you don’t. Your thoughts and actions will determine whether you encourage people to be themselves and let them do their thing or continue to think and show them that they’re untrustworthy. You can move in a positive direction any time you choose by healing the parts of you that create the mistrust and behaving in ways that show others that you genuinely and unconditionally value them. How will you trust more?