Rigid thinking often leads to unhappiness and imbalance, yet many people hang on to one set of thoughts and behaviors throughout their entire lives. They do this because they’re unwilling or unable to consider any other point of view other than their own, usually because they feel that something negative will happen if they consider other options. Some people genuinely believe that they’ll look weak if they change their minds, others are afraid that their carefully constructed world will come tumbling down.
It can be daunting when you realize that your former views don’t fit the situation you’re facing or that you don’t have the tools to deal with new circumstances. Thankfully, human beings are able to raise their self-awareness, change their thinking patterns and acquire new information. Here are some ideas to help you expand your thinking:
- Actively research and read from many sources.
- Learn about other points of view.
- Challenge yourself to look at a situation from a different perspective.
- Tell yourself the world won’t end if you change your thoughts.
- Become stronger by learning new things.
- Listen to what others say and consider their views.
- Be optimistic that new views can be beneficial.
- Welcome change into your life.
- Consider thinking in a way that brings you joy.
- Think in ways that add to your self-awareness and help you grow.
- Identify ways to build bridges.
- Think compassionately.
When you think openly, it helps you find a point of view that brings you genuine, deep happiness and fulfillment rather than covering up your warts or enabling you to barely make it through the day. New ideas and information can help you thrive and succeed in ways you might have not even imagined before. What will you do to think optimistically and openly?
What are your thoughts on this topic? Leave a comment below.