A lot of people fancy themselves a great boss but you’ll hear a very different story when you talk with their colleagues and employees. When you’re a great boss, you do things that not only create a highly efficient and productive workplace, you also build people up and create a happy work environment. Here are some signs that you’re a great boss:
- Your employees tell other people that you are.
- You get out of the way and let people use their brains, talents and abilities.
- You don’t raise your voice or get angry at people.
- You educate when needed and lay back when not.
- Employees talk openly and comfortably with you.
- You don’t have to refer people to HR when disciplinary issues arise.
- Your workplace is efficient and productive and people are happy.
- People feel like there are opportunities for growth when they work for you.
- You’re not afraid of change.
- Employees can question you and you don’t get upset or defensive.
How many of these things do you do? If you already practice these behaviors you know that they create a productive, respectful and comfortable work environment where people feel like they matter. You can start working on these types of behaviors any time you choose to, all it takes is the desire to move in that direction. Try one skill at a time until you’ve mastered it and then move to the next one. What will you do to make sure you’re a great boss?